JATC Cover Photo

JATC Cover Photo

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Meet Abbey Dollard.....

As parents we only ever hope and pray we are making right decisions and the decisions we make impact our kids in positive ways.  For almost twenty years now being a mom who raised my kids to be effective adults "someday" has been my primary purpose.  Many of those years I parented alone which made the challenges different. Mistakes were made and victories won. Despite my own humanness, God is faithful and so far so good on the whole "effective adults" thing.  In fact, I'm so proud of who they are and humbled by their giftedness that words fail me.

Today....we are steadily approaching "someday" for my baby girl and I have invited her to be a guest writer on my blog.  She has a great story, a great heart, and an even greater vision.  AND, she needs our help to begin the next chapter of her journey.

Meet Abbey Dollard......

As a young girl, two years old to be exact, I was diagnosed with Alport’s Syndrome. This is a genetic condition that mostly affects the kidneys, but may also lead to hearing loss and abnormalities in the eye.
The diagnosing process started when my parents noticed, without going into any great detail, some uncommon characteristics about my urine.
My mom took me to our pediatrician, Dr. Camilo H. Palacio, thinking it was all just some sort of infection. The realization that it was more came when I had to go back every day to get my blood pressure and weight checked. Some might have thought I had all this cute baby fat, the doctor, however, knew I had all this bad water weight that I was not losing.
Dr. Palacio was the doctor who changed it all. As we went through the everyday process of worry and exhaustion trying to figure out what was going on, he took the time out of his day to continue researching my condition even off the clock. While at home with his family, he made the discovery that it was, in fact, all linked to my kidneys.
This lead to the process of finding a nephrologist. In Wichita, there was no pediatric nephrologist. Trying to compensate, a nephrologist, agreed to see me. Although she clearly was NOT a kid’s person, she was a sweet lady to try. But anyone who knows me, knows that to this day, I tend to be a lot to handle. Making that arrangement more difficult than helpful.
Once again, Dr. Palacio came to the rescue helping us get connected with Dr. Stanley Hellerstein. Now this guy was cool. Here I was, three years old, and I was the doctor. Me, Abigail Dollard, high and mighty in the doctor’s chair. No one could stop me now, not even my mom every time she told me, “Abigail don’t play on the rolling stool, that’s the doctor’s chair”.  When I responded with “I AM the doctor”, Dr. Hellerstein agreed. He let me be just as important as him. I was no longer the little girl with the kidney problems; I was also the one helping change lives.
What Dr. Palacio and Dr. Hellerstein do not know is that they influenced me so much at such a young age. Not only did they bring peace of mind to my family on my condition, but they showed me how great of an impact pediatric doctors can have on children.
As I’ve grown up, I have spent a lot of time working with kids. Whether it’s been babysitting on the weekends, the two kids I pick up and watch every day after school, my three summers spent at the Mulvane Recreation Center in the Pre-Kindergarten class, or volunteering at the church. If it’s given me the opportunity to work with them and hopefully positively influence them with even just a smile, I’ve taken it. Because Dr. Palacio and Dr. Hellerstein gave my three year old little self, at the very least, enough reassurance to be normal enough to smile.
Along with my love for kids, I also have a love for science. I came to realization of my love for science through my seventh grade teacher, Kara Gilbert. Her love for what she did made it visible to me how easy it is to take something you love and run with it. She may not have any clue that she’s what helped push me to further my studies in science, but I’ll forever give her the credit. I’ve had many great science teachers that have also helped me at my higher level classes, but I would never have considered taking these classes without having yet another amazing person influence me to do so.
One of those other science teachers is Nicole Streff-Collignon. She has been my freshman year Biology teacher and is now currently my AP Biology teacher. AP Biology has been by far my most challenging course so far, but definitely my favorite. I’ve learned that with a teacher willing to do what it takes for you to understand without pushing you to the point of losing your love for the subject, anything can be accomplished (apparently even genetics can be accomplished). Closer to the beginning of the year, she nominated me to participate in the Careers in Medicine Leadership Forum. Graciously, I have accepted the nomination and am very excited to say I will be going to Chicago at the end of June.
My love for science and my love for kids is how I came to pursuing a career as a pediatrician. I have been accepted into Southwestern College to take part in their Pre-Med program along with signing to be a part of their Leadership program, which will help further develop my skills giving me an even bigger opportunity to positively influence lives.

Through all of my opportunities and wildest dreams, I hope to someday give significance to someone else the way I feel these people have given significance to me. It may be that three year old little girl in the chair that needs to hear that she is the doctor, or it may be the mom that needs to know her baby is going to be okay. Whomever it may be and whatever situation it may be, if I can step in and do everything possible to help, I will feel as though I’ve done what I am created to do. Because I see purpose in all of the things that these people have done for me and it will be an honor to give that purpose back. 

Help Abbey.....

THANK YOU!

From the depths of my soul I thank you for taking time to read Abbey's story, for praying for her on this journey, and to the many of you who have supported and loved us over many years!  My heart is full and God is good.... ALL  the time!




No comments:

Post a Comment